Wednesday, August 29, 2012

AR Build, Optics

So far, the AR build is coming along nicely. However, it hasn't got any sights yet, a rather necessary component for a rifle. The choice of optics for ARs is staggering. Ignoring for a moment the different brands, there are at least three major different types of sighting devices: scopes, reflex sights, and fixed sights. Each of these major types have all kinds of options and variations.

This build is for survival, including use in the wilderness, so the foundational optic for this weapon is good old fixed sights. However, I want other optics as well (more on that in a bit), so I chose flip up sights. I settled on Magpul MBUS sights. They are very sturdy and inexpensive - I got a front and rear set for less than $90. They also come in a handsome FDE that complements my weapon's color scheme. My only disappointment is that it is darned hard to see the front sight post, especially in low light situations. I sort of wish I had gotten a tritium front sight post.

While this gun will certainly have to hold its own in CQB (close quarters combat), it also needs to suffice for medium range marksmanship and longer range hunting scenarios. For this purpose, I selected a 1-4x24 scope. If you are unaware, the 1-4 designation represents magnification power. This scope goes from a magnification factor of 1 (e.g., no magnification) to a magnification factor of four (e.g., a target at 400 yards will look like it is at 100 yards). The 24 designation is the diameter of the aperture lens in millimeters. This scope allows rapid zero-magnification target acquisition, and enough magnification to accurately hit at the edge of this weapon's range (the barrel is a 1-9 twist, limiting loads to 62 grains, and realistic effective range to maybe 300 yards). These kinds of scopes are also very light, which is a bonus. In the end, I narrowed my search to two weapons: the Super Sniper MRAD and the Leatherwood (by Hi-Lux) CMR. Both scopes have illuminated reticules, but the Super Sniper has several advantages: fully submersible, 1-6 power magnification, and first focal plane illuminated donut reticule. However, the Leatherwood has advantages of its own: it is significantly lighter than the SS (17.7 vs. 24.4 oz.), significantly cheaper ($330 with SS SALT mount, vs. $999 sans mount), and has flip-up lens covers. It also has mil-dot ranging marks on the lens, although only the center reticule is illuminated. I chose the Leatherwood on the strength of its value and weight advantage. The lens caps were also important to me - I have gotten sap on my lenses before, and that is no picnic. The mounting bracket uses two thumb-screws, and can be rapidly removed. This is important, because in a bugout scenario, I am very likely to detach my optic and store separately.

The final optic I mounted is a 1 O'clock offset with a reflex sight. This allows extremely rapid transition from magnified or backup sights to reflex sighting. The optic I chose is a Bushnell TRS-25. This is essentially an Aimpoint Micro clone. Again, the $80 price-point made it attractive, and the enclosed housing seems sturdier than some of the open pane sights. It is also small and light weight, so it stays out of the way. It is a bit redundant, so I'm not sure if I will keep it on there. I will have to try all the optics out together in some extensive scenario shooting. In the end, I chose to deploy all three major sighting types. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment