Friday, August 24, 2012

AR Build, Handguard

The choice for hand-guard is a difficult one. I don't think there is any right answer, but I will explain my choice and how I arrived at it. My criteria for selecting a hand guard are as follows:
1) Light weight. I may have to hump this weapon all day.
2) No front sight gas block. I want to run optics, and I don't want to drop my rifle into a gorge and knock the gas-block off by accident.
3) QED, I need a guard that covers and protects the gas-block.
4) I don't want a quad rail. All those sharp edges and extra weight are annoying.
5) Decent length and ventilation. I don't want to burn my leg by accident.
6) Inexpensive. Or at least reasonably so.

In light of these requirements, I selected Troy's VTAC Alpha Rail 13". This hand-guard is exceptionally light and remarkably sturdy - and at less than $200 it is a bargain. The 13" length protects the gas-block from getting knocked around, and provides superior heat dissipation and barrel protection. It also looks pretty damn handsome.

I chose to affix a Magpul AFG2. I'm not sure if I will keep this. The benefit is an ergonomic platform with superior positive grip. The negative is that I can't just grab the hand-guard and start shooting. So, if I am deploying the weapon from a sling, the AFG might be a liability. In a battle situation, however, it is a significant ergonomic improvement.

The weapon is shaping up quite nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment