Monday, August 19, 2013

Ultimate Patrol Rifle

So back to the saga of the poly lower from New Frontier. This is a high-quality, low-cost lower receiver, but like all polymer products requires extensive fit and finish before assembly. I am used to gun-smithing metal, so I had to come up with an entirely new set of tools to fit this part. Believe it or not, the tool I finally settled on was a foam nail file designed for making women beautiful. My wife still doesn't know where it got off to, so please don't tell. I decided to use this lower to create a super light weight rifle suitable for patrol and all-day carry. I mated it to a Bravo Company upper with a light-weight profile barrel in 14.5 inches. In order to pass NFA requirements, Bravo Company permanently affixed the flash suppressor, bringing total barrel length to 16.1". I chose a mid-length profile to reduce felt recoil and improve cycling efficiency, and mated it with a Magpul MOE mid-length handguard. This handguard weighs in at only 11 oz, making it the perfect light-weight option. instead of a vertical grip I selected a FAB magwell grip. This allows a tighter pivot point and reduces weight at the end of the muzzle. Optics are handled by a 4x scope with illuminated reticle and built-in laser. Backup duty is handled by a Magpul MBUS. Total weight sans optic and magazine is five pounds flat. Mission accomplished!
Five pounds of patrol rifle in a compact package

Illuminated 4x scope with integral laser provides versatility and low weight

No comments:

Post a Comment